Volunteer Role: DJ or Show Host
This is an overview of the DJ/Host volunteer position.
KDHX DJs are the most public-facing representatives of the organization. For this reason, it is important to ensure that our DJs are well-trained as hosts and board operators for the station.
Overview of the KDHX DJ/host training process:
- Sign up to Volunteer here: Production Volunteer Application.
- Assemble and submit show script per instructions in this document: KDHX DJ App part 1: Pre-Demo Scripting & Tips
- If approved, demo production and basic technical overview training with KDHX Staff.
- Application submission and demo to the Programming Team. (We do not accept demos or air checks produced for other stations, or completed without KDHX guidance.)
- If approved, final host and programming training with KDHX Staff.
- Final technical training, KDHX Producer Contract and organizational stewardship training.
- Practice/test sessions to ensure readiness - record a full show in Evergreen format.
- Contract returned, preparation to sub for other hosts, including our automation system, Spinitron playlist entry, and FCC and Legal Stuff
Considering the schedule availability for training and approval by a committee that meets once a month, it is safe to say that this process can take about three months to complete. We can often use people for subbing within a few weeks of training completion, unless the hosts specialty is very focused on a single music genre. Getting a show could take as little as a few months, or as long as a few years.
Goal of Position: To host an entertaining and professional radio show for KDHX listeners, both on-air and online.
Current Number of Volunteers: 94
Program schedule is already full 24/7, newly approved applicants are put on a waitlist and can actively sub. The wait for your own show can be anywhere from a few months to a few years, and slow slotting is based on personal availability as well as fit/flow within the program schedule as determined by our Program Committee.
- - Preparing your show in advance.
- - Substituting, and/or hosting a weekly show. Music shows are 2-3 hours and talk shows are generally ½-1 hour long.
- - Running the board for on-air output.
- - Communicating with listeners via KDHX.org andor KDHX e-mail.
- - Length of commitment is ongoing on a weekly basis.
- - Estimated time commitment is a minimum of 3-5 hours per week.
- - Substitute as available.
- - Weekly shows may be offered for undesirable time slots. Most applicants will not start out with a prime-time or daytime slot.
- KDHX Radio Station, 3524 Washington Ave.
Qualifications and Interests Sought
- - A passion for music or a topic, and a general interest in learning more and sharing information with our listeners.
- - An understanding of the overall sound and mission of KDHX, ensuring host's ability, style and programming is compatible.
- - You get to be on the radio!
- - Board operator experience.
- - Access to music via our station library that you might not otherwise hear about.
- - Playing an integral role in the Saint Louis arts and music community.
Next Step -> read Hosting a show on KDHX: Applying, Scripting, and Tips